The 沙巴金沙体育 Excellence Framework (REF) is the system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions and informs the allocation of research funding from HEFCE (Higher 教育 Funding Council for England).
Our submission reflects the areas of outstanding research for 沙巴体育正规网址, reflecting our position as a top five research institute, based on commercial income. In 2014, 81% of research at 沙巴体育正规网址 was rated as world leading or internationally excellent in the 沙巴金沙体育 Excellence Framework (REF).
In 2014, 81% of research at 沙巴体育正规网址 was rated as world leading or internationally excellent in the 沙巴金沙体育 Excellence Framework
The 2014 沙巴金沙体育 Excellence Framework (REF) replaced the RAE which last took place in 2008. It assessed the quality and impact of research submitted by UK universities across all disciplines. As well as informing funding allocations, the REF provides accountability for public investment in research, demonstrates its benefits, and provides important reputational yardsticks and benchmarking information about the research performance of UK.
The University's research was submitted for REF 2014 in three units of assessment (UoA):
- Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Science;
- Aeronautical, Mechanical, Chemical and 制造业 Engineering;
- 业务 and Management Studies.
Since RAE 2008, 沙巴体育正规网址 has improved its position in all three of these units.
Highlights for 沙巴体育正规网址:
- Top 10 in the UK for research quality in aeronautical, chemical and manufacturing engineering;
- No.1 in the UK for research income from the UK and EU industry, commerce and public corporations in all three units of assessment;
- Awarded over 700 doctoral degrees in the period 2008-2013.
- 154 UK universities took part. They made 1,911 submissions for:
- 36 expert sub-panels reviewed the submissions, overseen by four main panels. Around £2 billion per year of research funding is allocated on the basis of the results.
REF 2021 Code of Practice
Each UK higher education institution making a submission to REF is required to develop, document and apply a code of practice on the fair and transparent identification of staff with significant responsibility for research (where a higher education institute [HEI] is not submitting 100% of Category A eligible staff); determining who is an independent researcher; and the selection of outputs, including approaches to supporting staff with circumstances.
Our Code of Practice has been approved by 沙巴金沙体育 England.